[mythtv-users] DCT-6200 Firewire issue

David Rudder drig at noses.org
Wed Nov 30 12:13:41 EST 2005

Hi,
I know this is a linux1394 issue, but I posted to the mailing list and
have gotten no response.  I was wondering if anyone here has seen this
problem and maybe can help me out.  TIA.  Here's my email to linux1394:

I'm trying to setup a MythTV to record from my Motorola DCT 6412.  I
have read through all the documentation and the emails on the various
lists. I am seeing some of the same problems as others, but the
work-around isn't working for me.  They say to use plugctl to setup a
broadcast connection and use broadcast within mythtv.  I have not been
able to receive video through broadcast.

Basically, I can setup a p2p connection and use test-mpeg to download
video.  It works some of the time.  The mailing lists say about 50%.
I'm seeing about 33%, but I think that's a quibble and not really
significant.

But, I can't for the life of me get broadcast connections working.

I have a Texas Instruments firewire card.  I used it in another computer
to download video from a Sony TRV-120 video camera with Kino.  Made some
really cute videos of my kids :)  So, I know the card works.  Here's the
lspci:
00:08.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Texas Instruments TSB12LV26 IEEE-1394
Controller (Link)

I have a Motorola DCT 6412 connected via firewire to the host computer.
Here's plugreport:
Host Adapter 0
==============

Node 0 GUID 0x00309526b0022369
------------------------------
libiec61883 error: error reading oMPR
libiec61883 error: error reading iMPR

Node 1 GUID 0x00152ffffed1547e
------------------------------
oMPR n_plugs=1, data_rate=2, bcast_channel=63
oPCR[0] online=1, bcast_connection=0, n_p2p_connections=2
        channel=0, data_rate=2, overhead_id=0, payload=376
iMPR n_plugs=0, data_rate=2

Here's the output from test-mpeg with a p2p connection:

# test-mpeg2 -r 1 foo.ts
libiec61883 warning: Overlayed connection on channel 0.
You may need to manually set the channel on the receiving node.
Starting to receive
done.
# ls -l foo.ts
-rw-r--r--  1 root root 1136460 Nov 28 12:33 foo.ts

As I said, this works about 1/3 of the time.  Playing it with mplayer
works fine, every time I get any video at all.  I never get corrupted
video.  It's either works or doesn't work.

I haven't been able to find out for sure how to use test-mpeg with a
bcast connection.  I think I just supply a bad node.  Like so:
# plugctl -p 0 -n 1 oPCR\[0\].channel=63
# plugctl -p 0 -n 1 oPCR\[0\].bcast_connection=1
# test-mpeg2 -r boogabooga foo.ts
libiec61883 warning: No plugs exist on either node; using default
broadcast channel 63.
Starting to receive
done.
# ls -l foo.ts
-rw-r--r--  1 root root 0 Nov 28 12:36 foo.ts

Now, to get MythTV to work, everyone says to use a bcast connection.
Can someone tell me how to get the bcast connection working?  Am I doing
something wrong?  Is my test-mpeg run correct?  Is my 1394 card hosed?

Thanks,
Dave