[mythtv-users] mythtv on 2 monitors with different resolutions.

Simon Tennant simon at imaginator.com
Wed Nov 30 09:19:36 EST 2005

I have Mythtv running on through an ATI Radeon X300 which has a VGA and
DVI port.  I run 1280x720 Projector off the DVI port and a 1024x768 LCD
panel off the VGA port.

I use the LCD panel 3 or 4 times per week and the LCD panel daily for
watching TV.  I would like to not have to restart X to switch which
display runs mythfrontend.

I see these as being my options:

1. Run 2 mythfrontends:  one on VT7 and one on VT8 switching as necessary.
(possible locking issues? Sound card mixing issues:  I use ALSA:spdif
as the output)

2. Run a Xinerama setup with the mythtvfronent permanently bound to the
LCD panel and somehow tell mplayer / mythtvinternal player to always
send to the LCD projector.  (Don't know how to do this or whether it is
possible)

3. Run "mirrored displays".  What shows on the one shows on the other.  I
would like to do this but since the displays are different resolutions
do not wish to be in a situation where I am only sending 1024x768 to a
projector that can handle a higher resolution.

How have others dealt with dual displays at multiple resolutions?

S.

--
Simon Tennant ________________ http://imaginator.com/~simon/contact