[mythtv-users] HELP: No TV after hw install of HD3000 (w/ PVR250 and FC4)

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Nov 30 00:56:18 EST 2005

Brad Fuller wrote:

> Blastzone wrote:
>
>> If you look at the capture card setup in mythtv-setup, myth is going
>> to grab whatever is listed first when you choose to watch liveTV.
>> So, if this screen (mythtv-setup, option 2) says 'DVB'  then
>> 'PVR-250', it's going to grab the DVB card first, and time out.
>
> from what I've read, it is the order that was first placed in the
> configuration, not the list in the configuration.
> That doesn't seem right to me, though. I've deleted and re-entered
> cards several times and I don't see the logic in it.

Myth *always* uses the highest priority card first--for LiveTV or
recordings.  This allows you to "prefer" recordings from better capture
cards or on more powerful backends.

However, for LiveTV, you can tell Myth to do exactly the opposite of its
default--to use the lowest priority card first--by setting:

Avoid conflicts between live TV and scheduled shows.
If enabled, live TV will choose a tuner card that is less likely to have
scheduled recordings rather than the best card available.

At which point all recordings will be done with the highest priority
card that's available and LiveTV will be done with the lowest-priority
card that's available--so you won't have a conflict until all your cards
are in use.

If you have multiple cards with the same priority (i.e. you haven't
specified priorities for your cards), the cardid is used for a
tie-breaker (the card with the lowest cardid will have the highest
"priority").  Note that cardid is not necessarily the same as your
device number (i.e. it's possible to have /dev/video1 as cardid 0 and
/dev/video0 as cardid 1).  The cardid is an auto-incrementing field in
the database, so the cardid's will increase in order as you define new
cards (and if you delete a card, higher cardid's remain untouched, so
the list is not necessarily sequential).

Hope this helps to figure out what's going on.  Since the original issue
was trimmed, I may have gone OT, but at least wanted to clear up any
confusion on the issues that seemed to remain.

Mike