[mythtv-users] XBox with root via NFS?

Wade Maxfield mythtv at hotblack.co.nz
Tue Nov 29 16:57:53 EST 2005

>I know that the fan on my old xBox fan is a little
>noisy and eventually I'll replace it with a quieter
>one, however, I had no idea that the hard drive was a
>noise problem.  Obviously I can't hear anything above
>the noise of the fan currently.  If the hard drive
>becomes a problem I'll probably replace it with a
>seagate barracuda since I've had good experiences with
>them and find them to be completely silent.
>
>I already have the 128MB RAM thanks to
>xboxrepairguide.com  and I was curious how well you
>box was working with just the 64MB, or are you merely
>talking about your future plans.

I've just replaced the fan in my xbox.  Although the fan is about the
same size as a 80mm fan, the plastic molding is specifically tailored
to the xbox.  A normal 80mm fan will not fit unless you are willing
to trim the corners off the fan surround, and also trim bits off the
hard drive mounting.

I used a Thermaltake 80mm Silent Cat which was a better fit than a
normal 80mm fan, but it's not much quieter than the fan it replaced.
Using XBMC with the auto temperature setting, it has to run the fan
at a higher speed than the original fan did, in order to keep the
temp at 55C.  It's still quieter, but this particular fan has an
annoying ticking sound that is more noticable than the sound of the
fan blades or air.

The hardrive seek sound can be heard, but since the content is
streaming from my Myth box, the hard drive is hardly used, so HD
noise isn't really an issue (Seagate 200Gb 7200.7 for what it's
worth).

  - Wade