[mythtv-users] playing dvd rips to ISO

Robert Johnston anaerin at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 15:36:54 EST 2005

On 11/29/05, Alan <alan at ufies.org> wrote:
> I'm just getting the last bits of my mythbox working, and finally got
> DVD playing going.  The "rip dvd" funcationality works, and it rips to a
> 700mb .iso file in /myth/video/, but it doesn't seem to allow playing
> throught the 'play videos' function.  This is a DVD ripped with the
> 'iso' method obviously.  I can mount the ISO and the video_ts/audio_ts
> and some .exe files (assuming a free windows dvd player installer or
> something) are all there.
>
> I'm waiting to get home to see if the 'perfect' rip (to vob it looks
> like) will play, but does anyone know if the .iso should be playable
> through the video manager interface?

The ISO *is* playable, but with a caveat.

MythVideo uses mplayer (By default) to play back all the files it
comes across. mplayer does not support playing back from ISO.

However, Xine does, and very well, with DVD menus and everything.

IIRC, to enable .iso playback in MythVideo, you need to define the
"iso" filetype (As it's not in the list as standard), and use the
"Custom Command" to run "xine -pfhq --no-logo dvd://%s" (IIRC)

This'll then mean you get playback of your freshly-minted DVD ISO's.

Though, as an aside, 700Mb sounds a little small for a DVD... you sure
it's not a VCD you've ripped (Which should work just as well)... Just
a thought.
--
Robert "Anaerin" Johnston