[mythtv-users] Pundit-R & HDTV

Blastzone blastzone at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 13:24:54 EST 2005

right now i'm loading the cx88-dvb module manually.

I had some problems with the PVR-250 in the system not being handled
correctly by the ivtv drivers, it would show 'unknown tuner'.  Mucking
around with the aliases in modprobe.conf proved fruitless, but I could get
it to run by manually loading the ivtv eeprom and tuner modules manually,
and identifying the tuner type.  So I have a shell script that does that for
me on startup.

I tacked on the cx88-dvb module into this script, and dmesg shows the HD3000
as loading correctly.  Tuning with azap was successful, and i could (sorta)
watch streams with mplayer.  (There are known issues with mplayer, see the
pchdtv boards for more info).

I added the PCHDTV card as a DVB device in mythtv-setup, and it is available
as another tuner.  I didn't have any luck trying to assign it as an HD-3000
device (for whatever reason).  Note that setting it up as DVB will only tune
ATSC digital channels.  I also had it working as a V4l device to tune NTSC,
but never got the audio to sync.

Once the device is set up as DVB, you can do a channel scan and it will
locate the streams available.  I had to do alot of tweaking there, as it
gave many of the channels the same channel #.  I have not yet bothered to
set up a zap2it configuration to populate those channels with listings,
mainly because most of them are crappy home shopping channels, or the Music
Choice 'digital radio' stations.

For what it's worth, since adding the DVB card, mythfrontend has been
unstable, occasionally segfaulting with viewing recorded NTSC broadcasts,
and is very likely to segfault with playing with ATSC.  But I haven't done
any troubleshooting on that, and since it's my primary TV, I can live with a
minor inconvenience as opposed to possibly breaking everything.

detailed and stream-of-thought notes can be found at my myth page:
www.blastzone.net/~kamikazi/hardware/mythtv