[mythtv-users] Re: Seeking help with XBox+Myth+XMBC

Casey Dunn casey.dunn at sbcglobal.net
Tue Nov 29 12:38:53 EST 2005

This guide (
http://mahune.org/archive/2005/05/07/mythtv-and-xbox/
) worked for me.  Ubuntu dapper (worked on brezzy
too), mythtv 18.1.
  If your laptop works but you're having trouble with
xbmcmythtv then I'd suggest the mythpretty.sh from .16
, mythweb and samba.  That's my config and it rocks.
If it's requested I'LL post my (slightly) modified
version and point out what was changed and why.

  You'll also need the patched mplayer.dll (
http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?thread_id=1368343&forum_id=436331
) if you're transcoding your recordings or not using
an mpeg2 capture card.  DVB and ivtv files are not
really .nuv so they play fine,  transcoded files are
real .nuvs and will not play in a stock xbmc build
until the nupplevideo patch makes it in.  RTJPEG is
not supported in either mplayer.dll so raw bt878
recordings won't work at all.

As for the original question about where to get XBMC
yes there is a secret handshake but it's not very well
hidden.  The easy answer is to google xbmc t3ch; he
builds about once a week so get something recent.
Then you'll just ftp it in, nautilus and windows don't
work well for that so use some kind of ftp client.
Most of the xbox ftp servers support a limited number
of connections and when you drop a directory in there
the file browser trys to open a bunch of concurrent
connections and then fails when the xbox reports too
many users. http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=464128