[mythtv-users] HD3000 recording problem in Mythtv- signalStrengthATSC_v4l2(), error: Invalid argument

Brad Fuller bradallenfuller at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 29 11:45:08 EST 2005

Mercury Morris wrote:

> Thanks for gathering all the information and posting it.
>
> Others may not agree with me after reading the bootup messages from
> the system log, but I do not believe that you are using the DVB
> drivers.  I base this on the line that says:
>
> cx2388x v4l2 driver version 0.0.5 loaded
>
> And then there are the lines that refer to "registered device(s)"
> video0 [v4l2], vbi0, and radio0.  These are not the devices you want
> to be created when using the DVB drivers to control the HD3000 card.
> There should be a line like
>
> DVB: registering frontend 0 (pcHDTV HD3000 HDTV)...
>
> I cannot tell you what specific steps are needed to correct this,
> mainly because I cannot sit down in front of your system and have a
> look at all the files that control the start-up.  But it looks like
> there is a conflict somewhere that causes the V4L driver to be loaded,
> and the DVB driver to be shoved aside, ignored, whatever.
>
> What I can do is attach two files, modprobe.conf and rc.local.  These
> are the two files that I use to control how the tuner cards are
> recognized, registered, and initialized.  But I do this quite
> reluctantly because your system and my system are different.  And I
> caution that if you DO read through these two files, note the sections
> that are COMMENTED-OUT.  I found that modprobe.conf was not reliable,
> and moved the start-up commands to rc.local so I could control the
> order and timing of loading the software.
>
> I wish I could tell you 1, 2, 3 simple steps that would help your
> system work, but it may take a bit of trial-and-error on your part to
> find the right combination of commands.  It took me a few days of
> experimenting to come up with the two files that I use now.

Much obliged. I'll check them out.

I do think there is something with bootup because I have to modprobe to
get cx88 successfully loaded. But, it IS loaded and I can use mplayer to
view HD channels. And, when going into Mythtv, PVR250 works. That's why
I thought it was a configuration problem inside Mythtv, not a driver issue.