[mythtv-users] Cant delete programs when HD files up

Dave Sherohman esper at sherohman.org
Tue Nov 29 10:47:57 EST 2005

On Tue, Nov 29, 2005 at 12:17:09PM +0000, Ben Edwards wrote:
> Not quite sure what you mean by 'resurve'.  While it is true that
> there are bits of the filesystem where root only has the access I have
> not herd of a standard Linux setup pre-alocatin space apart for swap.

As seen in `man mke2fs`:

       -m reserved-blocks-percentage
              Specify  the  percentage  of  the filesystem blocks
              reserved for the super-user.  This  value  defaults
              to 5%.

This would also apply to ext3, as that just ext2 + journal, but I
don't know whether other filesystems (reiser, xfs, jfs...) also
create a reserve by default.

The purpose of this is basically to ensure that user processes are
not able to bring the system down by filling up the disk, preventing
root-owned daemons from being able to function.

--
The freedoms that we enjoy presently are the most important victories of the
White Hats over the past several millennia, and it is vitally important that