[mythtv-users] OT:? GeForce MX4000 and TV Out oddness

SpEnT spentboy at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 08:38:36 EST 2005

Ok so I finally got my cable and have managed to get everything
working fairly decent with a few issues. One is that no matter what I
seem to put in for a modeline I can't get my desktop to fit on the
screen, it always overscans. I'm sure there is a way to do this I just
am not sure how to create a line for this. I'm using Jarod's modelines
and he included a modeline that does a different screen size within
960x540p (880x480) but I still can't make it fit my screen. Luckily
for Myth this isn't a problem because you can specify the size and
offset which I have. The problem is playing movies. Using external
players the movie is always just a bit off the screen so I miss some
things.

My MythTV settings are:
GUI Width: 880
GUI Height: 507
X Offset: 40
Y Offset: 16

... this has it pretty much centered and looking good but when I set
the TV to play in the GUI size window I get a fine blue border I'm
concerned *may* cause burn in. I've tried changing the size of the
Myth GUI but it doesn't seem to change anything.

Does anyone have any ideas how to alter modelines so that you can have
a scaled screen size that fits your screen in a certain resolution
timing? I think if I could get my desktop showing up perfectly on my
screen that would fix any little problems I'm having now. Here is my
xorg.conf file:

# Xorg X server configuration for HDTV
# by Jarod Wilson
# bastardized by Lonny Selinger Tue Nov 22 10:32:23 CST 2005
# Last changes: Tue Nov 29 07:35:04 CST 2005

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier "layout1"
    InputDevice "Keyboard1" "CoreKeyboard"
    InputDevice "Mouse1" "CorePointer"
    Screen "screen1"
EndSection

Section "Files"
    # Multiple FontPath entries are allowed (they are concatenated together)
    # By default, Mandrake 6.0 and later now use a font server independent of
    # the X server to render fonts.
    FontPath "unix/:-1"
EndSection

Section "Module"
    Load "dbe" # Double-Buffering Extension
    Load "v4l" # Video for Linux
    Load "extmod"
    Load "type1"
    Load "freetype"
    Load "glx" # 3D layer
#   Load  "fbdevhw"
#   Load  "record"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Keyboard1"
    Driver "keyboard"
    Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
    Option "XkbLayout" "en_US"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Mouse1"
    Driver "mouse"
    Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
    Option "Device" "/dev/mouse"
    Option "Emulate3Buttons"
    Option "Emulate3Timeout" "50"
    Option "EmulateWheel"
    Option "EmulateWheelButton" "2"
EndSection
Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "monitor1"
    VendorName "Toshiba"
    ModelName "57 in HDTV"
    HorizSync 31.5-37.9
    VertRefresh 50-70
    Option  "DPMS"

    # My 960x540p mode
        Mode "960x540p"
            DotClock 37.26
            HTimings 960 976 1008 1104
            VTimings 540 542 548 563
            Flags "+HSync" "+VSync"
        EndMode
    # My 880x480in540p mode
        Mode "in540p"
            DotClock 37.26
            HTimings 880 944 1048 1104
            VTimings 480 506 520 563
            Flags "+HSync" "+VSync"
        EndMode
    # My 1920x1080i mode
        Mode "1920x1080i"
            DotClock 74.52
            HTimings 1920 1952 2016 2208
            VTimings 1080 1084 1096 1126
            Flags "-HSync" "-VSync" "Interlace"
        EndMode
    # My 1760x960in1080i mode
        Mode "in1080i"
            DotClock 74.52
            HTimings 1760 1888 2096 2208
            VTimings 960 1012 1028 1126
            Flags "-HSync" "-VSync" "Interlace"
        EndMode
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
    AllowMouseOpenFail
    Option "blank time" "0"
    Option "standby time" "0"
    Option "suspend time" "0"
    Option "off time" "0"
EndSection
Section "Device"
        Identifier  "device1"
        Driver      "nvidia"
        VendorName  "ASUS"
        BoardName   "GeForce4 FX 4000"
        Option      "NoDDC"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "screen1"
    Device     "device1"
    Monitor    "monitor1"
    DefaultDepth     24
    Option "TVStandard" "HD480p"
        SubSection "Display"
            Depth     24
            #Modes  "960x540"
            Modes    "960x540p"
        EndSubSection
EndSection
#Section "DRI"
#   Group        0
#   Mode         0666
#EndSection

I'm using a DVI-HDMI cable right now on a GeForce FX 5200VS if that
helps at all. The overscan also happens while the machine is booting
but I really don't care as long as it can all fit properly in X.
Again, thanks for all your help everyone (and any suggestions you can
give me on tuning this a bit more)

--
Lonny