[mythtv-users] Quiet HDs?

Ben Edwards funkytwig at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 07:23:47 EST 2005

On 29/11/05, Bertrand <bertrandmuscle at yahoo.com> wrote:
> >>Any opinions on hard drives? Reviews seem to be all over the place
> >>results wise.
>  >
> > I did a bit of research on this a while ago and the Samsung SpinPoint
> > P Series seemed the quietest.  It was on the pcpro a list for a while.
> >
> > Defiantly check this one out.
> >
> > Ben
>
> SpinPoints DO look pretty good! Thanks for that. Can't seem to find the
> SATA II units, but I guess I'll go for the PATA. Was worried about speed
> with HDTV and all..

I've done a fair amount of Mini DV video editing.  A couple of yeards
ago a decent 7200 spin speed drive could deliver 3 files (during real
time rendering).  How many times greater are HDTV streams than DVB
streams?  Basicaly if you know the sustained transfur rate of the
drive and the bandwidth of the HDTV stream you shuold be able to work
this out.

Ben