[mythtv-users] Cant delete programs when HD files up

Ben Edwards funkytwig at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 07:17:09 EST 2005

On 28/11/05, chris at cpr.homelinux.net <chris at cpr.homelinux.net> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 28, 2005 at 11:59:15AM +0000, Ben Edwards wrote:
> > Firstly how come I cant delete programmes when I have filled up the
> > drive, how can I stop this happening in the future.
>
> The most likely answer is that since the drive was full, mysql was no
> longer able to update the tables and mythtv couldn't append to the log.
> The way to keep it from happening is to make sure you have a
> functioning auto-expire arrangement and use auto-expire by default.

I have a separate media partision and beleve this is the normal setup
so cant c this being the problem.  I myst confess I havent actualy
looked at the system/mysql logs and this would show if this is the
case.

> Don't forget that some filesystems reserve a lot of space for root's
> exclusive use.  If you tell MythTV to auto-expire at 10Gb and then
> create a 250Gb ext3 partition using the default settings (5% reserved
> for root) then Myth will NEVER expire any files because the non-root
> users will get a disk full error when there's 12.5Gb remaining.

Not quite sure what you mean by 'resurve'.  While it is true that
there are bits of the filesystem where root only has the access I have
not herd of a standard Linux setup pre-alocatin space apart for swap.

How do you tell myth to auto expire?.  Most of my recordins seem to
have auto expire set on as default but I still run out of space so I
supose I need to set something else up.  Also I guess in manage
recordings there is a way to say if certain programs (i.e. The
Simpsons) will auto expire.  What would be really cool was to set auto
expire priorities or even use the recording priorities as there
indicate whitch programs you prefer.

I have also came across program groups whitch I guess I should look into.

Ben