[mythtv-users] O.T. myth-tv + gentoo + wireless LAN info

Chris Trown ctrown at safe-mail.net
Mon Nov 28 19:22:53 EST 2005

Phil Thompson wrote:
> On Monday 28 November 2005 10:52 pm, Chris Trown wrote:
>
>>Rodney D. Myers wrote:
>>
>>>I've purchased at myth-tv box from magicitx.com, and not in the
>>>position to run a LAN cable from the living room to the computer room
>>>[aka spare bedroom].
>>>
>>>From what I gather from the reading, it runs gentoo. What pci and/or
>>>USB wifi network card(s) will work in, as a drop in card?
>>
>>      None.  At least with Fedora.  I would stick with a card that has
>>either Atheros or Realtek chips in 'em.  Note that I said card.  You'll
>>definately be going on the edge with a USB WiFi.
>>
>>      If this is a standalone system, you'll be OK as far as bandwidth
>>goes.  If you'll be streaming from a backend to a frontend, beware.  You
>>might not get the bits you need at the speed you need 'em.
>

> After doing some tests I've given up on wireless. I'm using HomePlug/Powerline
> (http://www.solwise.co.uk/net-powerline.htm) adapters to distribute the LAN
> over the mains and it seems to work really well.
>
> I'm using a mixture of 14Mbps devices (for non-Myth systems) and 85Mbps
> devices between my Myth backend and my (just 1 at the moment) frontend. I
> reckon I'm getting about 45Mbps which is fine for streaming live TV with PIP.

      If I'd remembered that these were available, I would definately
gone that route instead of wireless.

      If you decide to try HomePlug, it would probably be a good idea to
make sure you can return the devices if they don't work.  You just never
know...

Chris...

--
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little
temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" -- Benjamin