[mythtv-users] Auto login as user and start Myth.

Nick Rout nick at rout.co.nz
Mon Nov 28 18:22:38 EST 2005

On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 17:07:26 -0600
Robert Denier wrote:

> This is probably easy, but I can't think of an obvious way to automatically
> login as a user.  From that point you need to start X and mythfrontend, but
> that is probably easy as long as one can figure out how to execute a script
> as a particular user.
>
> The overall idea is to have the system get to the point that you can use the
> remote automatically after you turn it on.  I'm using Gentoo Linux.  This
> shouldn't be that hard, but I just don't see an obvious starting point other
> than maybe figuring out the init process from inittab or maybe something like
> xdm that does autologins.

make a shell program that changes user and then executes the program you want.

su changes user

su - username -c script_to_start_mythtv

will do what it suggests

stick it in the /etc/conf.d/local.start

make sure /etc/init.d/local runs on startup.

rc-update add local default

Nick Rout <nick at rout.co.nz>