[mythtv-users] More Digital Audio Q's

Steve Adeff adeffs at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 13:02:45 EST 2005

On Monday 28 November 2005 05:23, David wrote:
> Michael T. Dean wrote:
> > Steve Adeff wrote:
> >> This is a feature I love, so I'm going to look into these boards and
> >> see what the linux support is for this feature. hopefully just
> >> setting up another asound output will let me do this with MythMusic
> >> while leaving TV and MythVideo output alone =)
> >
> > Oh, and thanks for the reply.  You have no idea how out-of-kilter my
> > entire world would have been if passthrough didn't mean passthrough
> > (on Linux, at least :).
>
> Can I summarise as:
>  Digital or SPDIF signals will (provided the setup is correct) be passed
> through most/all soundcards (including onboard) without (detectably)
> impacting the sound quality.
>
> David

Compressed digital signals (DD/DTS) will be passed through all soundcards
through SPDIF with no change in the signal when a passthrough mode is used.

Uncompressed digital signals (PCM) may or may not be altered when being passed
through SPDIF depending on the output chip used on the sound card regardless
of passthrough mode.

Steve