[mythtv-users] NuppelVideo container format

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Nov 27 16:54:40 EST 2005

Brian Edmonds wrote:

>On 11/27/05, Tom Lichti <tom at redpepperracing.com> wrote:
>

>>Depends on the driver for this imaginary PVR card. I don't know of any
>>that will record to DivX directly.
>>

>The Plextor ConvertX does DivX in hardware.  Unfortunately MythTV only
>supports it in MPEG4 mode.

Although, since DivX uses MPEG-4 Part 2 compression (specifically the
Advanced Simple Profile), it's probably not that different from what the
ConvertX gives in "MPEG-4" mode.  Of course, since Plextor doesn't
provide any info about what "MPEG-4" mode means, I'm just guessing here...

Now, it is possible that the DivX output is actually using the DivX 6.0
"DivX Media Format" as a container, which would make it very different
from video using the MPEG-4 File Format container, but if that's the
only difference, you've nothing to worry about.  The "DivX Media Format"
is no more desirable than MPEG-4 File Format for Myth.  It's not like
you'd be able to (or need to) use the interactive video menus, chapter
points, or metadata in Myth, anyway.

Mike