[mythtv-users] NuppelVideo container format

Chris Petersen lists at forevermore.net
Sun Nov 27 14:58:38 EST 2005

Tom Lichti wrote:
> Felix Rubinstein wrote:
>
>> Guys, thanks for such a prompt reply!
>>
>> But I think you miss the point.
>> Those of you who read the last issue of Linux journal, the "Advanced
>> MythTV Video Processing" article must note, I citate:
>> "Although digital TV recordings are an MPEG-2 video stream, the
>> NuppelVideo container format used by MythTV is specific to MythTV and
>> is not supported by most video player software. To watch the videos
>> with anything other than a MythTV front end, you must convert them to
>> a format with a wider selection of players."
>
> Just because it is in a magazine doesn't make it right. If you rename a
> .nuv file to .mpg, it will play in most video players, from my experience.

The Linux Journal author (actually, both of them, since there was a
second article dealing with nuvexport) did NOT check his facts (I
already left them both notes about it, since it really annoys me that
neither of them contacted ANY of the developers for information, which
is just bad journalism).

MythTV records software-encoded files in nupplevideo containers in divx
or rtjpeg video streams with mp3 audio.  The hardware encoder cards
encode mpeg2 (or mpeg4 if you have that fancy plextor one) and mythtv
doesn't touch the file format, just adds a .nuv extension on the filename.

HOWEVER, the development version of mythtv will now name files with the
correct suffix for their file type, so hopefully once .19 is released it
will be the last we hear of this confusion.

-Chris