[mythtv-users] NuppelVideo container format

Tom Lichti tom at redpepperracing.com
Sun Nov 27 14:51:01 EST 2005

Felix Rubinstein wrote:
> Guys, thanks for such a prompt reply!
>
> But I think you miss the point.
> Those of you who read the last issue of Linux journal, the "Advanced
> MythTV Video Processing" article must note, I citate:
> "Although digital TV recordings are an MPEG-2 video stream, the
> NuppelVideo container format used by MythTV is specific to MythTV and
> is not supported by most video player software. To watch the videos
> with anything other than a MythTV front end, you must convert them to
> a format with a wider selection of players."
Just because it is in a magazine doesn't make it right. If you rename a
.nuv file to .mpg, it will play in most video players, from my experience.

> I need to use mythtranscode tool to convert the MythTV recordings into
> more widely supported formats, means it's not MPEG-2 format.
>
> Additionally, as I understood, if you take a file in Myth native
> format with resolution 704x480 which size is 1,756MB after decoding it
> to DVD (i.e. MPEG-2) format, the file will shrink to 899MB.
> Now is the one million dollar question, why the native file (original)
> is so large?
Because the bitrate is different, perhaps? The .nuv file IS MPEG2,
despite what you want to believe.

> Another example, what if I have PVR which has DivX encoding
> capabilities, whould MythTV save it in DivX (as I expect it to be), or
> in its native format?
Depends on the driver for this imaginary PVR card. I don't know of any
that will record to DivX directly.

Tom