[mythtv-users] Converting shows to PDA suitable format

ffrr ffrr at tpg.com.au
Sat Nov 26 18:09:24 EST 2005

Paul V. Gratz wrote:

>Yeah I think mencoder is faster (its certainly easier to figure out
>than transcode).  The processor may have something to do with it too,
>P4's excel at code that has very predictable branches like video
>encoding.  Less branch mispredict penalty means they can really take
>advantage of their deep pipelines.
>
>Paul

I just tried a few recordings with mencoder, and the files are about the
same size as those from ffmpeg, but I think they are better quality when
played on the Palm with TCPMP (might be because they are mpeg4).

And it IS faster, even on my 2.2GHz Sempron, I get 40+ fps.  Anything
better than real time, I am happy with. :-)