[mythtv-users] Rundown on Videos

Thom Paine painethom at gmail.com
Fri Nov 25 22:22:13 EST 2005

Can I get a rundown on the best way to work with mythvideo?

I have a master backend working nicely except for the remote. I'm not
really bothered by this atm because I've been watching my recordings
by installing the frontend on my main desktop and it's been working
really well. I also don't have my projector installed yet so I'm not
in a real panic.

Anyways, I have a bunch of files that I would like to move to my
mythbox to watch. I moved one over there to see how it would play and
it works well. So my questions are how best to use mythvideo with
remote front ends?

I was thinking that I need to NFS mount the /video partition on /video
on each of the local frontends to get that to work. I've ripped a few
DVD's to watch on there (funny how Baby Einstein made the list when
you have a 1 year old) but they don't seem to play.

Also, can I create directories in my /video/videos directory and will
it recurse them properly so that I can seperate some of these, like
the kids shows in one, mine in another, and some of my wife's stuff
elsewhere? I guess I could just try it and see if it works, but I'd
rather wait and get some feedback from people who are using this daily
to see how best to set it up.

Also, of the DVD's I ripped, I didn't get the movie posters. Does it
automatically download them from somewhere, or do I need to hit some
keys to get that to work?

And finally, since I plan on ripping alot of my DVD collection, I'm
unsure if I should get four 300G SATA drives and set them up in a
RAID5 array, so I have redundancy, or stripe them altogether and have
a little more room. I guess the only real savings will by my TV
recorded shows that I would like to have in the event of hardware
failure, because all my DVD's I have and can rerip them over time.

Thanks for reading this far and looking forward to some feedback.

--
-=/>Thom