[mythtv-users] need hardware advice

David O daveo78 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 25 18:59:00 EST 2005

On 11/25/05, travis <moralindignation at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the response. I hope this thread isn't confusing, since
> there is another with the exact same subject (posted right after mind,
> weird).
>
> Is this the motherboard?
>

> http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=ASUS+A7N8X-E&hl=en&lr=&safe=off&sa=N&tab=ff&oi=froogler

Yup thats it.

When you say everything i need, (this is probably a stupid question)
> does that include a processor? Also, I'll have to get another video
> card?

Sorry I guess "everything you need" was misleading.  After you get the board
you'll also need a CPU, RAM, Hardrive, and video card.  I meant that the
board is powerful enough and has enough extras to last you awhile(1GBIT LAN,
1MBIT lan, Soundstorm audio capable of outputting "everything" in DD,
SATA).  Do understand the board is about 1 1/2 years old already and there
are some new technologys out,  but I think for running myth (without
spending a years pay) it should work just fine.  Additionally I have
installed both Slackware 10.1, and Gentoo 2005 on this MOBO and it went
flawlessly.  The only thing that gave me a hard time was the ATI
card(required a couple kernel compiles and lotsa reading), and the GBIT lan
drivers were a little tough to find.  Everything else was recognized at
startup and NVIDIA has linux drivers for this board.

Also, how do a find a case that know that this will fit in it?

Three letters ATX.  Thats it just do some looking online and youll be ok.

Thanks for the links, I'll keep my eye on them. A good website I found
> for local deals is www.salescircular.com (fyi).

thanks.  I'll check it out

Thanks again!