[mythtv-users] Myth/HDTV dream system?

R. Geoffrey Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Thu Nov 24 11:37:59 EST 2005

On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 10:16:35 -0500, Len Reed wrote:

>Steve Adeff wrote:
>> This is what I did:
>>
>> Silverstone LC16M-S
>Speaking of the remote...I assume that the IR receiver is limited to the
>IR codes that the Silverstone remote can send.  (Contrast: a homebrew
>LIRC serial remote, which can handle almost anything.)  Is that true?
>Are you using this for your remote control?

 I have the Silverstone LC11-M case. It uses the iMon Median VFD and iMon
PAD IR.
I can tell you that the IR receiver does not appear to be limited in any
way on its reception of IR signals.

I happened to be fighting with my lirc setup, and getting no response. I
had mode2 running, when I used the TV remote to change the volume of the
TV, which was not hooked up to mythtv. And I was suprised to see output on
the monitor! A quick check showed that the IR receiver/mode2 combo could
handle a couple of the various remotes lying around. And my lirc setup was
fine: my Silverstone remote had dead batteries! I'm buying some more
batteries today so I can check out the remaining orphan remotes.

BTW I think that this could provide a means of mapping/determining the key
codes of any remote. No that you can do much with that, unless you have a
'learning' remote which you can program at the byte level  or for example,
a Hewlett Packard calculator with IR output, which can be programmed at
the byte level, or for another example, a bluetooth enabled cell phone
which has a Java JVM in it, and a Java program to present the choices.....

Geoff

R. Geoffrey Newbury                          newbury at mandamus.org
Barrister and Solicitor                         Telephone: 905-271-9600
Mississauga,Ontario, Canada              Facsimile:   905-271-1638