[mythtv-users] Ghosted Audio

David Aquilina dwaquilina at gmail.com
Thu Nov 24 11:32:41 EST 2005

On 11/24/05, mythtv-users-request at mythtv.org
<mythtv-users-request at mythtv.org> wrote:
> Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 13:30:06 +0000
> From: David Watkins <watkinshome at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Ghosted Audio
> To: Discussion about mythtv <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>

Thanks for the reply...

> Well you could play with the mixer, and make sure that all unused
> inputs and outputs are muted, particularly the mic input which would
> the most prone to picking up unwanted signals.

Already done. Had to fight with the mixer for a while to get it
functional, and so only the bare minimum is unmuted...

> In the mixer and in mythtvsetup make sure the recording and playback
> gains are sensible.  eg you're not recording sound at a very low
> level, and then playing back at a very high gain.

Also already done... in fact, I'm not even using MythTV's internal
mixer. Hrm, maybe that's the problem? I'll have to poke at that today.

> Remove any unused external leads that might be plugged into your sound
> card - they can act as little aerials.

There's only the patch cable from the bttv card and the cable out to
the speakers, unfortunately.

> Move the sound card to a slot far away from the capture card.

Admittedly I hadn't thought of that. Something else I'll have to try.

> I must admit none of the above seem very likely - you may just have
> faulty hardware.

Is your thought the soundcard is leaky (signal-wise), the bttv card is
leaky, or both?

thanks,
David