[mythtv-users] LIRC with USB remote control: how?

Paul Andreassen paulx at andreassen.com.au
Thu Nov 24 06:55:37 EST 2005

On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 05:14 pm, Enrico Ballarin Dolfin wrote:
> I'm trying to configure my USB remote control, delivered together with my
> PC (HP Pavilion w5180.ch), to use it inside MythTV. To do it, the remote
> control has to be accessible through LIRC, that seems to require a serial
> device instead of a USB one.
>
> When I connect to the PC the USB receiver of my remote control, I can see
> with "dmesg" following generated lines:
>
> usb 2-1: new low speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 4
> input: USB HID v1.10 Keyboard [3353:3713] on usb-0000:00:1d.0-1
> input: USB HID v1.10 Device [3353:3713] on usb-0000:00:1d.0-1
>
> When I have an terminal window open and I press the buttons of the remote
> control, characters are displayed on the terminal window e.g. 1 till 9 if I
> press the numerical buttons or a few character sequences for other buttons.
>
> I'm using my HP Pavilion w5180.ch running SuSE 9.3.
>
> How can I configure my remote control device to work with LIRC?

Linux has detect the usb device as a keyboard and mouse.  You don't need lirc.

You can either change MythTv key mapping to match your remote with MythWeb or
modify the Linux usb keyboard table to match MythTv.

Here is a program I wrote to change the mapping table in usbhid.ko, you would
have to do your own modifications:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/engine?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=7787;list=mythtv

Paul