[mythtv-users] Hardware tips : first machine

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Nov 22 23:27:38 EST 2005

Carl Fongheiser wrote:

> On 11/22/05, *Michael T. Dean* <mtdean at thirdcontact.com
> <mailto:mtdean at thirdcontact.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hauppauge's naming scheme:
>
>     PVR-XXX - I2C remote (connects to the card)
>     PVR-XXX MCE - FM tuner/no remote
>     PVR-XXX MCE Kit - FM tuner and USB remote
>
>     PVR-500 is always an MCE, so your only choice with it is a PVR-500
>     MCE
>     without remote or a PVR-500 MCE Kit with a USB remote.
>

> Close, but not quite.  The PVR-150 MCE Kit doesn't have the FM tuner.

Wow.  I wonder what they were smoking at Hauppauge when they decided to
make a whole new card that's identical to the PVR-150 MCE but without an
FM input to sell /only/ with the PVR-150 MCE Kit.  And then on the next
puff they decided that the the PVR-500 MCE Kit should have an FM radio.
So I guess it's not as simple as it /should/ be.

I thought the whole purpose of the product lines was to create 2 of each
card--one with FM tuner and no remote and one with remote and no FM
tuner--and allow users who get the card without a remote to add a USB
remote.

Anyway, thanks for the clarification.

Mike