[mythtv-users] native resolution vs 1080i for HDTV and SD on 1280x768 lcd?

Dan Christian dac at x.cx
Tue Nov 22 22:41:48 EST 2005

On Thursday 17 November 2005 09:57 am, Steve Adeff wrote:
> So I could
> A) buy a video card with an HDTV output chip and use that

I've got a NVIDIA 6600GT which has HDTV output support, and I still can't get
a usable 1080i signal.  It will put out 1080i, but the picture jitters
up/down (like the interlace isn't timed properly).  It's unusable.  You're
eyes start to water after a couple minutes.

I tried two different TVs, and both act the same way.  Both the component
outputs and DVI act the same way.

This is from Fedora 4 with the current NVIDIA drivers (as of 4 months ago).  I
can do 540p or 720p fine.  Note that not all sets that support 1080i will do
720p.  The 720p signal has a higher horizontal refresh rate and my Panasonic
can't display it.

Stick to progressive.  It will save a lot of headaches.

If anyone has gotten this to work, I'd love to have the modeline.

-Dan