[mythtv-users] silly question

Ben Dash ben_dash at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 22 22:28:46 EST 2005

--- chris king wrote:
> This is probably a stupid question, no doubt it has
> been answered in some
> random form at least 200 million times but I must
> know. Ok I used to have an
> ati all in wonder card, and I used to use the ati
> software tv
> bullcrap.Anyway it was limited to 125 channles, so
> for direct-tv i had to
> set it to channel 4 then record stuff. Where will
> the myth tv box need to
> sit in order to work with all of my channels on
> charter/dish/directv or will
> i need to do the channel 4 thing?

Understand that MythTV is just a Free Open Source
equivalent of the "ati software TV bullcrap".  You're
still going to have to "do the channel 4 thing".  If
you have an IR retransmitter then you can tune your
ATI card to channel 4 and have your PC change channels
on the external tuner box.

This is the reason why I have stuck to analog cable
TV.  I can split my cable into as many video coax
lines as I want, within reason, and plug each line
directly into a simple analog tuner.  If I were to
"upgrade" to digital cable or satellite I'd only have
one video coax line, unless I bought multiple external
tuner boxes.

For me, it's worth it to stick with analog cable TV
and a PVR 250, with a mere 80 channels, rather than
"upgrade" to the far less versatile digital cable,
with 200 channels of the same awful TV shows, but
YMMV.

In an ideal world I could get 30 channels of over the
air digital TV for free, a la the UK's freeview, and
dump my cable TV and phone subscriptions while also
signing up for $30/Month FIOS at 10Mbps down and 3Mbps
up so saving about $100/Month, however, I doubt that
that will happen any time soon :-(

|Ben Dash                                           |
|Ask free questions - http://bensqanda.blogspot.com |
|My Blog -    http://bensdailythoughts.blogspot.com |
|Info -  http://bensinformationstation.blogspot.com |
|Workouts -        http://bensworkouts.blogspot.com |