[mythtv-users] New to list - simple questions

Greg Oliver goliver at cistera.com
Tue Nov 22 18:34:11 EST 2005

I do not want to waste anyone's time, but after a week of installing
myth on a few servers, I have a few questions related to certain
features.  Simple yes/no answers will do and I can do the research to
make it work if possible.

1.  I have a PC with nvidia hooked to HDTV - works fine.  When I rip a
dvd using myth-dvd, is it transcoded to the res of the attached TV?
Since mtd ids required to run and does not show command line options for
ffmpeg, I cannot see what it is actually doing.

2.  I am also going to convert my xbox (where else can you get an HDTV
out computer for less than $100), but have read a lot about slow
processor choppiness.  If all recordings are done a another PC, will it
play them back smoothly?

3.  I have multiple capture cards in one machine, can I specify card1 to
always record programs from over-the-air - card2 to record from
DishNetwork, card3 to watch live tv, card4 to record on demand?

Thanks,

Greg