[mythtv-users] Desktop friendliness (was: Channel subscription?)

Dave Sherohman esper at sherohman.org
Tue Nov 22 10:57:07 EST 2005

On Sun, Nov 20, 2005 at 04:34:02PM -0500, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> From programs/mythfrontend/customrecord.cpp:
>
> First Episodes (complete example for Data Direct)
> program.previouslyshown = 0
> AND program.programid LIKE 'EP%0001'
> AND DAYOFYEAR(program.originalairdate) =
>    DAYOFYEAR(program.starttime)

I'm sure this is an old, old request, but...  Can we please get a
mythfrontend that's a little friendlier to those running it on a
standard desktop with a full keyboard instead of on a TV/remote
setup?  Like a "Hey!  Act like a computer instead of a STB!" flag or
something?

Since I didn't expect there to be any way to cut & paste this query
into mythfrontend, I went to type it in and all was fine until I got
to the end of the first line, pressed 0, and nothing happened.  Hit
it a few more times.  Still nothing.  Very confused, I punched other
numbers randomly and eventually figured out that the way to type "0"
is by pressing "999999".  Would be really nice to be able to tell
mythfrontend to just read numbers as numbers instead of doing
cellphone-text-entry on them.  But, also, standard remotes have a "0"
button on them.  Why not just use that instead of press-9-six-times
to enter a 0, even when in cellphone-text-entry mode?  (Oh, and how
do I enter a line break?  Like 0, mythfrontend also ignores the enter
key in the "Power Search Recording Rule Editor".)

--
The freedoms that we enjoy presently are the most important victories of the
White Hats over the past several millennia, and it is vitally important that