[mythtv-users] PVR-350 and PVR-500

Jesse Guardiani jesse at wingnet.net
Tue Nov 22 10:06:43 EST 2005

Jeff Simpson wrote:

> On 11/22/05, *Brad DerManouelian* <myth at dermanouelian.com
> <mailto:myth at dermanouelian.com>> wrote:
>
>     Thanks for the responses. Will I be able to use PIP with the 350
>     and the 500 together through the 350's TV-out? I think that will
>     seal the deal for me.
>

> I could be wrong, but my answer to that would be "yes and no". While
> it is technically possible to do that, it wouldn't work very well.
> TVOut on the 350 is done in a way as to make mpeg video output
> directly. Picture in picture (I believe) requires normal XV, which is
> done via framebuffer on the 350, which is MUCH slower than the mpeg
> decoding. So basically, you CAN do picture in picture, but it may be
> choppy or slow, your results may vary.

The recent ivtv 0.4.0 driver coupled with the new xdriver has really
cleaned up XV support on the 350. It'll burn more CPU than hardware
decoding, but the playback should be quite smooth.
Having said that, I no longer use my PVR 350's TV OUT. I use an nvidia
5200 instead because I play games and use the hardware GL support.

--
Jesse Guardiani
Programmer/Sys Admin
jesse at wingnet.net