[mythtv-users] nonlinear 16:9 stretch?

Peter Lee peteratcmu at gmail.com
Mon Nov 21 17:40:58 EST 2005

On 11/21/05, Robert Denier <rdenier at finiteinfinity.org> wrote:

> On Monday 21 November 2005 02:14 pm, Cory Papenfuss wrote:
> > > Currently I use the built in stretch mode on my TV to stretch 4:3 to
> > > 16:9. It does a nonlinear stretch so the edges of the picture are
> > > stretched more than the middle. Windows MCE has this feature too.
> > >
> > > Before I burn an evening mucking with a working X config, i'd like to
> > > know if MythTV do this also, or does it stretch the entire picture
> > > evenly?
> >
> > I think I remember this thread coming up before. I really doubt
> > that you will find anything from within the X config that will allow you
> > to do that. Modelines are linear. Unless the specific video card driver
> > has a special mode for it (non that I'm aware of do), you're screwed.
> >
> > That should probably be done at the application (i.e. mythtv)
> > level. I don't think anyone has done it yet.
> >
> > -Cory
>
> Why would you want this? Is there a screen shot somewhere showing why
> this is useful? I'm just curious...

I'm one of the people who started a thread on this about a year and a half
ago.

I have this feature on my Panasonic plasma display and *love* it. Basically,
for 4:3 content, the picture is stretched to fill the 16:9 display but the
middle 50% or so of the image is not stretched (much). Since many (most)
programs have most of the action in the middle 50% of the image, this means
that the main part of the image appears largely unadulterated, and yet the
full 16:9 panorama effect is produced.

Note that for sports, like hockey and football and especially auto racing, I
turn this feature off because those programs often do make use of the entire
image.

Now the reason I would like MythTV or Linux/nVidia to support this is that
my plasma monitor only supports this special mode in svideo or component
inputs. The vga input only supports 16:9 linear stretch. At one time I
wanted to use the vga input, and hence my question about whether mythtv or
linux might support this.

When this was discussed last year, I think people were generally saying that
this would be computationally too expensive to implement in software, and so
the matter was dropped. But I still think it is a great feature, and that
there would be value in having it somehow. On the other hand, I've since
gone with a vga-to-component adapter, so the issue no longer applies in my
case. But if I ever buy a new 16:9 display that doesn't support this mode,
then I would of course be interested in this again.

Peter