[mythtv-users] MythGame and SNES emulator woes

Jesse Guardiani jesse at wingnet.net
Mon Nov 21 15:18:41 EST 2005

byron wrote:
> My recent Myth project has been to get MythGame functional.  My goal was
> to get MAME, NES and SNES all working through the MythGame interface.
> So far I've been successful in getting MAME and NES roms detected and
> playable through MythGame.  However SNES has proven to be a little
> trickier.
>
> My problem:
> When going into the games menu it scans for SNES games every time but
> never updates the UI or the database as far as I can tell.  Running the
> emulators from a console works in both zsnes and snes9x.  I do not see
> any info logged to the backend log with verbose set to all, nor do I see
> anything sent the console when running mythfrontend from the command
> line.  I have tried zipped and unzipped roms with varying permissions
> all to no avail.  I've also tried using both zsnes and snes9x without
> success.
>
> Here is my config as it appears in setup
>
> Dropdown: Zsnes
> binary: /usr/games/bin/zsnes -m
> rompath: /media/emu/snes/roms
> screenshots: (blank)
>
> The setup seems very simple I just don't see what I'm doing wrong.
> Anyone have any ideas?  Is there a way to increase logging with
> mythfrontend?

Yeah, wrap the snes9x binary with a shell script that logs command line
options as well as
command output.

That's what I did. I had more trouble with xmame than snes9x though.
I'll try to get you
my command line later tonight.

First, some questions:
1.) Why zsnes? Why not snes9x? I've had better performance, features,
and general luck
    with snes9x 0.43. Just don't forget to make it suid root or DGA
won't work.
2.) What versions are you running?
3.) You're running Gentoo, right?
4.) Which ROMs? Some don't pass their checksums, like Super Metroid, so
MythGame
     won't add them.

--
Jesse Guardiani