[mythtv-users] New mythtv theme

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Nov 21 10:50:34 EST 2005

Neil Bird wrote:

> Around about 20/11/05 18:38, Michael T. Dean typed ...
>
>> More importantly, are you running X at 100dpi?  If not, then
>> placement will be off and fixing it on a non-100dpi system would
>> break it on any properly-configured system...
>
>   I've asked this before, but never had a solution:  I use
> wide-screen, but I've never been able to set my DPI to 100x100 (IIRC
> it just fails when I try [nVidia-based TV-out gfx card]).  I have to
> run at 133x100, which also means most themes' fonts seem a little screwy.
>
>   What DPI do others use for w/s displays?

100x100...

 From my X logs:

... (**) from config file, ... (II) informational, (WW) warning, ...

(II) NVIDIA(0): Virtual screen size determined to be 1920 x 1080
(**) NVIDIA(0): Display dimensions: (487, 274) mm
(WW) NVIDIA(0): Probed monitor is 1290x730 mm, using Displaysize 487x274 mm
(**) NVIDIA(0): DPI set to (100, 100)

Notice how the nvidia module sees my screen size is 1920x1080 and that
I've /configured/ a display size of 487x274mm.  It then asks the display
for its actual size and the display responds with 1290x730mm*.  At this
point the module warns me that the size I specified is not the same as
the reported size, but the configuration file takes precedence over
probed values, so I get it my way.

So, basically, if you put a valid DisplaySize line in your
XF86Config/xorg.conf, you should get 100x100dpi.  However, since you're
using the TV out (S-Video or Composite), which is meant for NTSC/PAL,
it's possible that you may be limited in the values you can choose for
the display size (the driver may make assumptions that don't hold true
for a wide-screen NTSC/PAL TV).  Do you have other inputs on your TV you
could use (i.e. VGA/DVI/...)?  And, is NTSC/PAL really the best signal
type for your TV?  If not, the X log file may be useful.  The problem is
most likely the TV out chip in the card.

Mike

Here are some sizes to help:

# For 1920x1080 at 100dpi  (16:9)
      DisplaySize  487 274
# For 1280x720 at 100dpi  (16:9)
#     DisplaySize  325 182
# For 1280x1024 at 100dpi  (5:4)
#      DisplaySize  325 260
# For 1280x960 at 100dpi (4:3)
#      DisplaySize  325 243
# For 1024x768 at 100dpi  (4:3)
#      DisplaySize  260 195
# For 800x600 at 100dpi  (4:3)
#      DisplaySize  203 153
# For 640x480 at 100dpi  (4:3)
#      DisplaySize  162 121

*The reported display size is actually wrong, BTW.  I have a 67" DLP and
doing the math for the reported display size, the TV thinks it's a
58.36" display--which just happens to be the width of the display...  It
seems Samsung is doing the same, "report an incorrect display size so
the fonts are bigger since the user will be farther from the screen than
he/she would be from a monitor."  I have no idea why they choose this
size, though, as the actual size is about 1483x834mm (compared to the
1290x730 it reports).  At a resolution of 1920x1080, they've increased
the calculated DPI from 32.8 to 37.8.  I guess someone at Samsung thinks
that's enough...