[mythtv-users] ATSC Station Changed Its Name

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Nov 20 23:02:48 EST 2005

Mercury Morris wrote:

> On 11/20/05, *Michael T. Dean* <mtdean at thirdcontact.com
> <mailto:mtdean at thirdcontact.com>> wrote:
>
>     Mercury Morris wrote:
>
>     > A local station, WCCO-TV, changed its "Name" in the Over-The-Air
>     (OTA)
>     > data.
>     > Previously, it was "WCCO-DT", now it's "Service".
>     >
>     > When this change occurred, all the recordings scheduled for WCCO-DT
>     > were "lost".
>     > That is, they did not show up in Upcoming Recordings, and were NOT
>     > recorded.
>     >
>     > To fix this, I ran mythtv-setup, added the XMLTVID to the "new"
>     > channel called "Service",
>     > and re-ran mythfilldatabase.  Now, I will reschedule the missing
>     > programs to be recorded
>     > on "Service", and they should be recorded OK.
>     >
>     > How would you have handled such a Station Name Change?  Or, how
>     have you
>     > handled such a Station Name Change in the past?
>
>     Haven't done it myself, but shouldn't you rename "Service" to
>     something
>     useful (like "WCCO-DT") and make sure you run mythfilldatabase
>     without
>     the "--do_channel_updates" option (so it doesn't overwrite your
>     "custom"
>     channel names)?
>
>     > Maybe a better question is, Can the loss of scheduled recordings be
>     > prevented?
>
>     Not after the fact.  ;)
>
>     Before the fact, you could use Record All on Any Channel...
>
> Thanks for your answers.

Just a qualifier...  I wasn't really answering your question (I don't
know the answer), but suggesting that now--after the changes you
made--you should name the channel something better.  Like you said, "I
mean, come on WCCO Chief Engineer!  'Service'??"

Unfortunately, though, it sounds like it might happen even without the
--do_channel_updates argument.  Good luck with it.

Mike