[mythtv-users] Lost Scheduled Recordings after channel lineup change

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Nov 20 14:07:17 EST 2005

Bruce Markey wrote:

> catfish wrote:
>
>> Recently my cable company has changed my channel lineup (they moved
>> SpikeTV to another channel number, missing my StarTrek!).
>
> Guys. Pay attention.
>
> catfish wrote:
>
>> Ah ha Thanks!
>> Mythtv-setup->Video Sources->Input Connections->Tuner 0 wasn't
>> assigned to my video source.
>>
>> So for future reference does this sound like the right way to update
>> a channel lineup:
>
> No. No, no. Absolutely not. Wrong, wrong, wrong ;-) No one in the
> future should ever do this.
> When one channel changes it's channel number:

Right.  In other words, the problem was caused by the steps you took
before your original post (
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/162207#162207 ), i.e.
you said:

> History:
> Recently my cable company has changed my channel lineup (they moved
> SpikeTV to another channel number, missing my StarTrek!). After
> realizing the change I verified that zap2it is aware of the changes
> and did a few mythfilldatabase's and noticed no change. After some
> searching online I figured to run mythtv-setup and delete my channel
> config and reenter my information. The channel lineup is now correct.

So, had you not already deleted your channel config, Bruce's approach
would have been an appropriate (and easy) fix.  But, once you deleted
the channel config, you no longer had the source associated with your
input.  So, I explained the problem you were experiencing after the
delete without going into any details on what caused the problem in the
first place.

However, the steps you used to fix the problem created by deleting your
channel config were correct (or at least correct enough--they took you
back to a known config (everything cleared) and let you configure
correctly).  And, in this process--when deleting video sources and
changing inputs--you do want to shut down mythbackend.  If you're
actually changing video sources, your approach would work, too (assuming
you also run mythfilldatabase).  However, as Bruce has said, those steps
should not be used for miscellaneous changes to channel numbers in your
lineup.

Mike