[mythtv-users] Very Newbie DVB Question

Johan Kihlström johan.kihlstrom at bredband.net
Sun Nov 20 07:09:50 EST 2005

On Sun, 2005-11-20 at 12:01 +0000, Toby Weston wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> Sorry to ask the obvious but I was hoping someone could point me in
> the direction of a very basic overview of DVB-T card setup (UK
> Nova-T), I'm running Fedora 4 and will be using the latest Myth TV
> from atrpms.
>
> I've been following the excellent Wilsonet guide and following the
> links on DVB but I can't seem to put the pieces together :\ for
> example, does the latest 2.6 kernels have DVB support? Am I likely
> going to need to do that black magic kernel patching? The other guide
> I've been looking at is
> http://www.ethics-gradient.net/myth/mythdvb.html (as mentioned on the
> offical docs) but I'm confused about older 2.4(?) kernels.
>
> I must sound very confused!
>
> Anyway, any concise starting points for me would be really useful.
> Thanks :)
>
> --
> Toby

Yes they do have DVB support but AFAIK not many have it enabled by
default. So you'll have to cook your own kernel to get DVB support.
I'm running DVB-C with 2.6.12 on Debian and it works.

If you're not running wicked hardware with special requirements just
enabling the necessary modules in the kernel would suffice. So no
patching(unless you enjoy life at the bleeding edge), just
reconfiguring/building a new kernel.

Good luck!

Johan