[mythtv-users] Channel subscription?

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Sun Nov 20 04:56:04 EST 2005

chris at cpr.homelinux.net wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 19, 2005 at 06:18:42PM -0800, Bruce Markey wrote:
>> Obviously, it's past Oct 24th but if some major event happens I
>> can go to Custom Record, "Edit Rule: Breaking News", Set the date
>> to tomorrow or the next day, click Record then Save. It will start
>> recording everything on CNN until 7pm on the date I chose and I
>> can change the date or time again later depending on how the news
>> unfolds.
>
> Why not just have a "power search" for that channel and leave it
> inactive until you're ready to record?  That way you don't have to
> change the date/time to turn it on.

Because that would put hundreds of items in the reclist that
don't need to be there. When mfdb runs in the morning (after
9 Central yet before midnight ;), it looks for shows on CNN
that start before Oct. 24 (the last day I used this for Rita
I believe). There aren't any so this is a no-op for the rest
of the day.

I do use Inactive for stuff that I do want to see in the the
schedule. First Episodes for one. I also have a rule for Golf

program.title = 'PGA Golf'
AND channel.callsign != 'GOLF'

Men's Golf can be on NBC, CBS, ABC, ESPN, ESPN2, USA, CNBC
and possibly others. I also get The Golf Channel which doesn't
have the pull to cover men's live tournaments but have qualifying
school, European PGA, and replays of PGA events.

DVRs work really well for golf because you can skip ahead to
the shots of the players you want to watch and see a six hour
broadcast in under an hour. I'm really only interested in seeing
Tiger Woods, John Daly, Phil, Vijay, Sergio, etc. but they don't
play every week. On Thursday I can see who's playing and if there
are no top players I mark it inactive until next week rather than
marking four or more showings as Don't record.

--  bjm