[mythtv-users] wierd mpeg2video behavior

chris at cpr.homelinux.net chris at cpr.homelinux.net
Sat Nov 19 15:38:18 EST 2005

On Sat, Nov 19, 2005 at 12:58:30PM -0500, dave sailer wrote:
> ha ha. right. I've played around and it seems certain recordings are
> giving these errors. I can quickly go thru using preview and figure out
> which ones but I'm not sure what steps to take next. Can I tell which of
> my two cards recorded a file? What other tools can I use to analyze the
> files?

I've seen these errors occasionally, and think it may be a case where
the machine was i/o bound and ivtv was generating data faster than Myth
could record it to disk.  Sometimes the video is still watchable,
although with lots of artifacts and occasional pauses.  The only real
solution I've found is to schedule it for re-recording.

The first 4 characters of the filename are the channel ID.  You can look
up that channel in the mythconverg database using:

    select capturecard.cardid,videodevice,inputname from channel \
    join cardinput on cardinput.sourceid=channel.sourceid \
    join capturecard on capturecard.cardid=cardinput.cardid \
    where chanid=9999;

Substitute the channel ID from the filename in place of 9999, of course.

--
Joke template: Three guys walk into a bar. One of them is a wee bit
stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability.