[mythtv-users] Graphics card recommendation

Mike Robinson mike at robinsonhome.org
Sat Nov 19 10:10:30 EST 2005

Chad wrote:

>>Actually, the only reason I care about PCIe is because I plan on getting
>>a higher end CPU and motherboard.  Unfortunately, higher end
>>motherboards with >3 PCI slots and a 10/100/1000 network interface
>>typically don't come with an AGP slot.
>

> Not a gigabit NIC, but I've got a mobo with 6 PCI's and an AGP, an
> ASUS A7V600-X I believe (not at home to peak at the mobo).  It's
> Socket A, not sure if that's what you want.

The gigabit NIC is the kicker.  Serving HD to multiple FEs and hosting
thin clients can cause a noticeable latency on a 10/100 NIC.
Motherboards with a gigabit NIC, >3 PCI slots, and AGP are scarce.

>>This box will not only be a
>>BE/FE system, but it will also serve other FE boxes as well as being an
>>LTSP server.
>>
>>-Mike
>>

> Most BE serve other frontends ;)

Well just about all BEs serve FEs.  But, as I said, this is a BE/FE
box...which doesn't imply that it will serve remote FEs ;)

> As for the LTSP server, I looked at
> it fairly recently, and it would seem that most of the specs of the
> server aren't that stringent (part of the reason for them creating the
> project IIRC).

The requirements for the LTSP server are dependent upon what the clients
will be doing.  In my case, there may be some heavy development by at
least one of the clients (mainly me).  I wouldn't want folks to start
getting artifacts because I kicked off a build.

> Still, from the additional uses, I don't see a big
> reason to go PCI-E with this particular setup.  A nice AGP GF4 MX440
> that supports XVMC should certinaly suffice.  If the PCI-E were on the
> board I chose, I may look at accomodating it, but I wouldn't base my
> search of my mobo off weather it had PCI-E support or not.

I'm not basing the board weather it had PCIe nor not.  I'd gladly take
an AGP board...the trick is finding one.

> Your "other frontends" will be where you may consider PCI-E, depending
> on their use, but even still, if they are dedicated FE's, I don't see
> any compelling reason to search out a mobo with PCI-E and then further
> search out a card that is supported in Linux, AND then search out
> weather or not XVMC works with that setup.

Agreed.

> Good Luck, with whatever you choose.

Thanks, pray my head doesn't explode.

-Mike