[mythtv-users] Graphics card recommendation

Chad masterclc at gmail.com
Fri Nov 18 21:28:17 EST 2005

>  Has anyone had experience building a BE/FE HDTV system that performs
> without a glitch?...including recordings, live TV, OSD, etc.  If so, I'd
> love to know the setup.

IMHO, if this is going to be a dedicated BE/FE (and assumingly
eventually a dedicated one or the other when you get addtional
hardware) I wouldn't be so pressed to find PCI-E.  AGP Nvidia GF4 that
support XVMC should be plenty.  Why dump a bunch of really fast,
really screamin hardware in there and create that much more heat and
cost?  You can get by, assuming you're doing XVMC offloading for all
HD, with much less of a system.  And if you are just recording with
PVR's or HD tuners recording HD, CPU is barely touched, it's all
hardware driven captures.  A P4 1.8-2.4Ghz should be plenty (AMD XP
1800-2600).  There is no need to see what hardware does what, again,
assuming this is only a myth system and NOT a gaming platform or a
desktop.

:)

Cool