[mythtv-users] DirecTV HD recording

Byron Poland wpoland at gmail.com
Fri Nov 18 16:14:52 EST 2005

On 11/18/05, Michael Chmilar <michael_chmilar at yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- "Michael T. Dean" <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
>
> > So if you get it working, you'd actually have to have a mod'ed
> > DirecTV
> > receiver and a Windows PC with (something?) in and firewire out for
> > each
> > channel you want to record concurrently--all that plus your MythTV
> > box(es)?  Sounds like a very ineffecient process...
> >
> > Mike
>
> Yes. A separate Windows PC must host the r5000hd. (The modded DirecTV
> receiver outputs over USB2.) Unfortunately, the stream emanating from
> the receiver is in DirecTV's proprietary format. To read directly off
> the USB2 port, you have to reverse engineer the format. The r5000hd
> crew has figured out how to convert DirecTV's format to a standard TS
> stream, but their driver is only implemented on Windows.
>
> This is essentially the same as the 169time and AVX-1. The AVX-1,
> from what I understand, is pretty much a Windows PC.

I used to have 3 directivo's all hacked for exporting recordings.  My
understanding was that the directivo's stored pretty much the straight
digital feed from directv.  The issue with tivo export was getting an
understanding of the MFS file system which tivo uses to store
recordings.  Once that was done, tools like tytool, and tydemux, and
now even vlc and mplayer, were developed to be able to read the files.
 wouldn't it be interesting to see what the stream coming from one of
these modified recievers was?  I'd love to be able to record espn hd
football on my mythbox.  no way to do that currently.