[mythtv-users] Play DivX Off DVD

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Nov 18 11:32:23 EST 2005

Josh Burks wrote:

>On 11/18/05, Michael Cheshire (Mailing Lists)
><michael-mlists at cheshire.id.au> wrote:
>

>>Howdy,
>>
>>Just a (possibly) really dumb question - does mythtv play DivX/XviD straight
>>of DVD/CD?
>>
>>How do you set this up?
>>

>I'm doing this with automount on FC3. Here's what I did to set it up:
>... instructions ...

If you don't want to do the listings thing and rescan, you can use this
for steps 4-6, instead:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/142951#142951

Make sure you get the updated (allows spaces) script from the next post,
though.

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/143035#143035

I set it up on a friend's Myth box (he has a huge collection of DVD's)
so all the information for his DVD movies is available in the database
(complete with IMDB info and posters), and when he selects one, the
prompt tells him where the DVD is (the filenames contain that info), so
he gets the DVD, pops it in and...  Truth is, I got really into it and
found trailers for most of his movies, so he can filter by the
"Trailers" group to let a friend choose which movie to watch by browsing
the info and playing trailers, then he switches to the "Movies" group
and, if it's an offline movie (not ripped to hard drive), he puts in the
disc when prompted.

One of these days, I'll make a patch for MythVideo that does this
right.  Until then, this works.

Mike