[mythtv-users] OT: Need help diagnosing backend hardware failure

Darren Richards darren.richards at gmail.com
Fri Nov 18 10:47:52 EST 2005

Sorry for the OT post, but my wife will be missing Gilmore Girls
today, so apparently this is an emergency.  My backend machine decided
to shut itself off sometime during the night last night.  Strangely,
the power light was still on, but the computer was off.  I reset the
PSU switch in back, and turned the computer back on.  After 15 seconds
or so, it shut itself off again.  This time the power light was
blinking.  I tried again, and this time it only made it 3 or 4 seconds
before shutting off.

My first thought was that I have a bad power supply.  But with the
blinking light, I thought perhaps something was telling the PSU to
shut down.  I checked the CPU heatsink and fan, and everything seems
to be working.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions.  I figure I'll probably
cannibalize another machine and start swapping parts out until it
boots...

thanks,
darren