[mythtv-users] Quick boots (was OT: suspend to disc....)

Jules Bean jules at jellybean.co.uk
Fri Nov 18 09:01:06 EST 2005

Jules Gosnell wrote:
> time I offered some feedback on this one...
>
> So, limited success...

I'm very interested in this. I'm definitely going to want to get
something like this going.

 > I have about a 1 in 2 chance of
> having the next boot sequence hang (usually whilst trying to set up
> local filesystems or something around here) forever.

Ok, this is a bit odd. Obviously you've tried rebooting a few more times?

It sounds like your boot records (lilo/grub or mbr) have been corrupted,
which really shouldn't be happening. Or.. your report isn't quite clear
to me. Actually it's getting past the linux boot stage into the usermode
startup sequence, it sounds like. I think we'd need to know *exactly*
where it was freezing.

> Thanks for all the help that I have been given with this one - much
> appreciated.

There is another approach, btw. Rather than trying to get
suspend-to-disk working, just try to get linux to boot faster.

The default kernels supplied with modern distros quite deliberately do
all kinds of hardware probing at boot, which is very slow. With a custom
configured kernel I think you can probably cut this down quite a bit.
It's something I'm going to look in to when I get my machine built (most
parts arrived now but still waiting on box/cpu/powersupply).

Then the second phase of the boot-up, after the kernel is done, is
traditionally done in a very inefficient, simplistic, serial fashion.
This can very easily be optimised for a single-purpose box, lots of
services are not necessary.

I did a few google searchs for 'linux fast boot' and so on. There some
stuff out there. I will look around more carefully when I get to this
point. I'd be interested to hear any other comments.

Jules