[mythtv-users] Guidance on burning recordings to CD/DVD

David Whyte david.whyte at gmail.com
Fri Nov 18 07:47:15 EST 2005

On 11/15/05, David Whyte <david.whyte at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11/15/05, Jesse Guardiani <jesse at wingnet.net> wrote:
> >
> > Wow, that sounds like a lot of work. I record from my PVR 350 in mpeg2,
> > edit the cutpoints,
> > and tell mythburn to do it's thing via the web interface. 45 minutes
> > later I've got a nice DVD.
> >

> Well, I like beng punished, so maybe I will look at MythBurn.  I
> wonder if it is easy to get going on my FC2 machine???
>
> Whytey

After enduring the punisment of losing a whole lot of data (check the
archives if you feel like reading a funny story about a dumbass and
his hurried affair with mythburn) I persisted and managed to create an
ISO using the web interface last night.

I have to agree that mythburn is just the schizz-nitt and is a very
fast way to create DVD's.  I am not totally sure if the time taken is
any less, but it is certainly a lot less work as all the steps are
automated.

I have noticed a few issues that could really do with being explained
better.  First, I compiled and jar'd the projectx project myself, so I
don't have the 'projectx' command in my path so needed to hack a
couple of the scripts to include the whole 'java -jar ProjectX.jar'
crap.

Next, I don't seem to be able to honour the cutlist, which is a little
bit of a PITA and something I am looking into now, but it has made me
wonder why ProjectX is being used for this process and not
mythtranscode with nuvexport.  After all, I am able to create DVD
compatible files using both nuvexport (and therefore inturn
mythtranscode) and then use dvdauthor (through the use of dvdstyler)
to create the DVD image.  Surely, as all of these tools come with a
standard mythtv install, it would be better to use these tools only.
Is there something that I am not fully aware of?  Perhaps there is, so
don't flame me if that is the case, I am just asking.

The other thing I wanted to say is that I have been trying to
encourage myself to do some of this AJAX greatness, just for the fun
of it but haven't had a real cause for it.  I have decided, if folks
don't mind, to try and update the MythBurn web pages to use AJAX to
return the status of the burn process.  After all, the percentage
complete of most processes is provided in the log files, so all we
need to do is create some XML from that and display the funky page.
It won't happen for a couple of weeks as I am about to go on holidays
(if I was allowed to take my laptop, I could get it done sooner of
course).

Thoughts, comments questions.

Whytey

I have GMail invites, if you want one, email me direct.