[mythtv-users] OT: suspend to disc....

Jules Gosnell jules at coredevelopers.net
Fri Nov 18 05:06:55 EST 2005

time I offered some feedback on this one...

So, limited success...

After getting everything setup, I suspended to disc 3 times. I had one
successful resumption from disc and two hangs. With each hang, I had to
reset the box to get it running. The second time I did this, my box
would not reboot and I ended up reinstalling my OS and Myth :-(

For some reason my frontend myth box has always been extremely fragile.
As long as it is shutdown cleanly it is perfectly happy, but if it
suffers a sudden reset or powerdown, I have about a 1 in 2 chance of
having the next boot sequence hang (usually whilst trying to set up
local filesystems or something around here) forever. My solution to this
is a complete reinstallation, as this involves very little thought on my
part, I just start the thing off and go to bed :-), The filesystem is
ext3, so I have no idea why the box should be so awkward about unclean
shutdowns... If anyone has any ideas I would be very interested to hear
them.

So, in conclusion then - limited success - but I am too chicken to
continue, because I can see it is going to cause me a lot of pain. If I
could get to the bottom of why the box is so fragile, I might be
encouraged to continue.

Thanks for all the help that I have been given with this one - much
appreciated.

Jules

crystallises out around it."

 * Jules Gosnell