[mythtv-users] MythTV + perlbox = voice command for mythtv?

William wmunson at rochester.rr.com
Thu Nov 17 19:44:33 EST 2005

-----Original Message-----
From: mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org
[mailto:mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org] On Behalf Of Steve Schultz
Sent: Thursday, November 17, 2005 5:35 PM
To: mythtv-users at mythtv.org
Subject: [mythtv-users] MythTV + perlbox = voice command for mythtv?

I am very interested in a voice command media PC.  There is software
available for Windows Media Center that can accomplish this but, I want to
use mythtv.  After some researching on the web, I stumbled across
http://www.perlbox.org/.  This appears to be a voice command system for
linux!  Has anyone attempted to marry the two applications together?  I
would be great to yell "Computer, channel up" to change the channel when you
are too lazy to look for the remote.

Any ideas or experiences that people have had would be great!

One area I see as problematic is the feedback from your audio system. Since
its an untrained system its going to respond to anything it hears that fits
one of its patterns. A quick look at the docs did not seem to indicate any
ability to use a audio stream as cancelation of background noise. Might be
possible with an external box but that would be a project in itself.

Good luck!