[mythtv-users] HD3000 and Myth. Please help me understand

Chris Trown ctrown at safe-mail.net
Thu Nov 17 15:04:27 EST 2005

      Ok, so I've been plugging away and things look mostly good.  Still
a few issues to deal with but easily done, so long as I can get the kids
to stop bugging me.  ;)

      The plethora of options has got me trying to figure out what to do.

      So, I have an HD3000 and a Rosewill 5200FX NVidia card in my
system, which I'm recording HD and SD content off the air.  I'm using
the DVB driver, not V4L.  My understanding is that these streams get
recorded straight to disk in MPEG2 format, correct?  Once the recording
is done, transcoding and commercial detection takes place.  There is an
option to have the system do the commercial detection before
transcoding.  When would this be appropriate?

      I've read that some people transcode to MPEG4 format.  The reasons
I've read are better picture and less disk usage.  True?

      If I transcode to MPEG4, then I lose the ability to use hardware
acceleration via XVMC, yes?

      I've mostly got NVRAM wakeup going.  How does Myth determine
whether the system was woken up by a user or via NVRAM wakeup?  This has
implications for how to shut the system down.

      I'm sure I'll have other questions.  Thank you for helping me get
my head around these questions I have.

Chris...
--
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little
temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" -- Benjamin