[mythtv-users] Which is the best HDTV Tuner Card

Steve Adeff adeffs at gmail.com
Thu Nov 17 13:05:53 EST 2005

On Thursday 17 November 2005 12:28, Phill Wiggin wrote:
> If you do a quick search on gossamerthreads, I believe you'll find that
> the HD-3000 does support QAM with the newer drivers.  I've got one, but
> haven't gotten to install it yet, so I can't confirm personally.
>
> --Phill W.
>
> Robert Kennedy wrote:
> > According to the online docs,  MythTV supports two HD TV Tuner Carrds
> > -- pchdtv HD-3000 and the Ai2PC card.
> >
> > It looks like the ai2PC card is no longer being made.  Instead, the
> > company is selling the AirStar-HD5000-PCI ATSC/8VSB HDTV PCI Card.
> >
> > Does MythTV support the HD5000-PCI ATSC/8VSB HDTV PCI Card?
> >
> > Which is better -- the HD-3000 or the HD5000-PCI ATSC/8VSB HDTV PCI Card?
> >
> > I see the HD5000-PCI ATSC/8VSB HDTV PCI Card supports QAM; whereas, it
> > looks like the HD-3000 does NOT support QAM.
> >
> > Is QAM  support important?
> >
> > Rob

the website never gets updated, the HD3000 DOES support QAM, I've been using
it this way for about 2 months now.

QAM is used by cable companies, so if you recieve your HDTV via a cable line
then you would use QAM(most likely QAM256).

I really like my HD3000 and it was a snap to setup since the 2.6.11 and up
kernels have the drivers for it. I think the HD5000 is also supported in
MythTV, and I've heard it has a better ATSC tuner which will come in handy if
you recieve your HD over the air and your signal strength is weak.

Steve