[mythtv-users] native resolution vs 1080i for HDTV and SD on 1280x768 lcd?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Nov 17 12:30:22 EST 2005

Steve Adeff wrote:

>Yes, always when possible. ie. my HDTV converts everything to 1080i but I
>can't find a DVI 1080i modeline that will work with my geforce so I'm forced
>to output at 720p, I might eventually get a newer geforce with an HDTV output
>chip and use that, I'll prbly end up buying a new TV before that happens
>though.

CRT?  If not, converting everything to 1080i doesn't make any sense at
all.  If it's a 720p TV, then converting a 720p signal to 1080i (i.e.
upscaling and interlacing it) and then downscaling and deinterlacing for
display is just plain wrong.  If it's a 1080p TV, it should upscale 720p
content to 1080p and deinterlace 1080i content to 1080p.

OK.  Maybe a plasma--I don't know anything about them except that their
resolutions are usually neither 720p or 1080p and don't know anything
about refresh...

Mike